Nutritional info (per 175ml serving): Energy-270kcals, Protein-12g, Fibre-4g and one of your 5 a day.
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is the combination of symptoms that some women suffer from a week or so before their period. Symptoms appear before your period starts (as many as five days) and will disappear during your period.
One of the underlying factors linked to PMS is an elevated estrogen-to-progesterone (E-P) ratio. Oestrogen is mainly produced by the ovaries and in the menstrual cycle oestrogen causes eggs to mature and thickens the lining of the womb. Progesterone is produced in the ovaries and in the menstrual cycle progesterone thickens the womb lining to prepare for implantation of an embryo (fertilized egg). This is believed to cause PMS symptoms of mood swings, bloating, depression, constipation etc.
- 1/2 cup of Chocolate or Vanilla soy milk-Contains soy isoflavones & calcium
- 2 capsules of Evening primrose oil*-Contains Omega 3 fatty acids
- 1 tbsp of Linseeds-Contain omega 3 fatty acids and due to fibre content, relieve constipation
- 1/8 cup or a handful of Hazelnut-Contains manganese & vitamin E
- 1 Banana-Contains vitamin C to combat the effects of phytic acid, magnesium and vitamin B6.
Method: Start by adding the liquid to your blender, followed by the soft fruit & hazlenuts (& linseed). Blend on high for 30 seconds or until the smoothie is creamy.
*Can be found in most health food shops. Required dosage =1000mg. Stop usage if you experience any side effects.
Disclosure : This is what I have personally found to be helpful and is no way intended to replace medical advice. I would also add, if your symptoms are causing you great distress, then I would recommend that you seek medical advice.