This is an innovative version of shepherd’s pie which equally as tasty and filling as the original. Whether you want to add meat or keep it vegetarian is purely up to you. This dish will give you 3 of your 5 a day!
Total cooking time: 1 hr (prep time 20 mins)
Nutritional info: Calories: 459kcal Fibre: 12g Protein: 16g
- 350g of Lentils
- 1 Sweet potato, sliced into 4 pieces
- 100g of canned chopped tomato (with juice)
- 1 Carrots, chopped
- 50g of Minced beef (optional)
- A knob of Butter
- 50g of Cheddar (or soya alternative), grated
- Thyme & Pepper for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- Add the carrots and lentils to a pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile add the sweet potato to a simmer for 15 minutes. Drain well, then mash with the butter and season to taste.
- Drain the carrots and lentils and then place them back into the pot along with the chopped tomatoes. Season with thyme & pepper.
- Add the lentil mixture to a greaseproof dish and then cover with the sweet potato mash.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and then put the dish in the oven for 40mins.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice.