Here is a healthy Mediterranean inspired recipe that tastes great and is simply to make!
Serving: 1 adult portion Time: 35 mins
- Energy: 512kcal
- High in fibre (contains 21g)
- Chicken is a good source of protein
- Counts towards 2 of your 5 a day
For the lemon chicken
1 skinless chicken fillets, cut into strips
½ small onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
½ glass of low-salt stock
½ lemon plus the juice
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
Pinch of black pepper for seasoning
For the tabbouleh salad
180g cooked bulghar wheat (60g uncooked)
50g flat-leaf parsley chopped
50g mint leaves, chopped
120g ripe tomatoes, chopped & deseeded
50g chickpeas, drained
3 spring onions, finely sliced
Juice, 1 lemon
3 tbsp olive oil
- In a frying pan, gently fry the chicken in the oil until golden brown, then carefully put on a plate.
- Toss the onion, crushed garlic in the oil left over and add the low-salt stock. Simmer over a low heat and add a pinch of black pepper for seasoning.
- Grate the lemon skin into the pan and add the lemon juice. Simmer until the sauce has reduced by half and then put the chicken back in the pan. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Put the chopped herbs (mint & parsley) in a large bowl and add the tomato and spring onion.
- Add the cooked bulghar wheat, lemon juice and olive oil to the large bowl. Mix thoroughly, season and serve.