This is my Mexican inspired freekeh recipe.
Prep & Cooking time: 1hr 20min
2 of your 5 a day
- 2 tablespoons cooking olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups freekeh
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1tbsp cumin
- 1 can of vegetarian refried beans
- 1 can of sweetcorn
- 1 can of petis pois
- 2 (10 inch) burrito-size flour tortillas
- Serve with corn on the cob
- Firstly, cook the freekeh. In a large saucepan, after adding the olive oil to heat, add the freekeh, onion, peppers, and garlic . Cook until the freekeh is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Then stir in the water, half the tomatoes, chili powder, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender, about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Stir in 2/3 of the cheese and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Then, place the remaining tomatoes & reserved tomato juice, chili powder, cumin, peas and sweetcorn in a medium frying pan over medium high heat. Cook and stir, breaking up tomatoes, for 10 minutes.
- Next, lay 1 flour tortilla in a lightly greased 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Layer with the freekeh mixture and the tomato & vegetable mix.
- Repeat layers with remaining ingredients, beginning with the flour tortilla, and top with the remainder cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.