This is a Christmas meal recipe inspired by the Caribbean. Fish prepared escovitch style is seasoned, fried and marinated with a peppery vinegar-based dressing. Rice & peas is a great side dish and a is a popular choice in the Caribbean. Serve with seasonal vegetables of your choice.
Cooking time: 45 mins
Nutrition info: Makes 4-6 servings
- Energy: 480 kcal
- Protein: 19.5g
- Salmon is a good source of fat soluble vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids, protein, magnesium & selenium.
- 4 salmon, cleaned and scaled
- Salt and pepper
- ½ each, green and red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced in rings
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- ½ scotch bonnet pepper, seed removed and chopped
- 10 Allspice berries
- 3tbsp Dried cranberries
Rice & peas
- 1 can (19oz) Kidney beans, including liquid
- 1 can (14 oz) Coconut milk
- Water (approx 1-2/3 cups)
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 Small onion or 2 stalks scallion, chopped
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1½ to 2 tsp Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cups Long grain rice (rinsed and drained)
1.Fry fish with a little oil (5 minutes each side)
2. Take fish out of pan and place on paper towel to drain oil
3. Put vinegar and oil into a saucepan and bring to a boil
4. Add carrots and let simmer for about a minute
5. Add red and green bell peppers a simmer for a minute
6. Add onion and simmer for 5 minutes
7. Add scotch bonnet pepper and stir
8. Place fish into serving dish and spoon dressing on top
9. Next drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup and
add the can of coconut milk and enough water to make four cups of liquid
10. Add liquid, beans, garlic, chopped onion and thyme to a large pot
11. Add salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
12. Add rice and boil on High for 2 minutes.
13. Turn heat to Low, and cook covered until all water is absorbed (about 15 to 20 min).
14. Fluff with fork before serving.