A great healthy option for the barbecue!
Total cooking time: 35 mins
Cost: £2.50 per portion
Nutrition info: Energy (449kcals), 2 of your 5 a day, high in protein.
What you’ll need: Baking tray, 2x mixing bowls, food processor/pestle & mortar (optional), frying pan, spatula, knife & spoon.
Ingredients (1 portion)
- 1-2 sweet potato
- 2 Jacobs cream crackers
- 75g lean minced beef
- ½ of canned chickpeas
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- Burger bap (wholegrain if possible)
- Toppings: Onion, Salad tomato, Lettuce, Jalapeno’s.
Sweet potato fries
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Wash 2 sweet potatoes under cold running water.
- Cut each sweet potato in half lengthways, then each piece in half again so you end up with 8 wedges.
- Add to a large mixing bowl, then sprinkle over a tiny pinch of sea salt and black pepper, and ½ a teaspoon of sweet smoked paprika.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then toss everything together to coat
- Spread out into a single layer in a large baking tray, then bake for 35 minutes or until golden and cooked through. When cooked, take out and leave to cool.
For the burger
- Drain the chickpeas and then ground the chickpeas using a pestle & mortar or food processer.
- Break up the Jacobs crackers into small bits. Also chop up the herbs, onions & garlic.
- Add chickpeas, beef, dried herbs and plenty of seasoning into a large bowl; mix through egg (with hands is easiest). Shape into four equal patties.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan; fry burgers for 15min, turning midway, or until golden on both sides and cooked through.
- Make up the burger with fillings of your choice.